Deciding Whether Or Not To Add Wheelchair Armrests
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Wheelchair Accessories and other Wheelchairs topics.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of getting armrests with my wheelchair?
Deciding what to add on to your wheelchair yields a lot of options, including whether or not to include wheelchair armrests. Wheelchair armrests would serve you well by allowing you to position yourself more easily while in your wheelchair. At the same time, they can also get in the way if you're at a desk or wheeling your manual wheelchair. Before you decide to whether or not to add wheelchair armrests, take a look at some of the benefits and disadvantages.
- Wheelchair armrests can help prevent spinal problems by allowing you to relieve pressure on your spine.
- You can use armrests to help you shift your weight in your wheelchair and get more comfortable.
- If you have limited upper body mobility, armrests can help you maintain your balance, especially when you are at an incline.
- If you have shorter arms, armrests may hamper your accessibility with the wheels.
- You may have a harder time reaching sideways with a wheelchair armrest.
- If you have a power wheelchair, you'll likely have an armrest regardless. However, if you have a manual wheelchair, consider that most armrests are removable, so they might be worthwhile to at least have on hand.